You can keep those spooky gremlins from taking over your car with regular, preventive auto care by the Wichita auto care specialists at Tracy’s Automotive. Have a happy Halloween and don’t forget to turn your clocks back an hour before you go to bed tonight.
It’s Halloween and, because the kids aren’t going trick or treating thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, you’re planning on a day of other kinds of spooky fun. That is, you’re planning on treating the kids to lots of Halloween adventures if the gremlins don’t possess your car and turn it into an evil car monster. If that happens, it’s time to call the trusted Wichita auto care technicians at Tracy’s Automotive for help. They can banish the car gremlins to the trash heap.
But, rather than wait for problems, it’s much easier to make sure they don’t have a chance to occur. You can do that with regular, preventive auto care. Preventive care is important all year round, but it’s especially important when the weather turns cold. As the nonprofit Car Care Council says, “The last thing any driver needs is a vehicle that breaks down in cold, harsh winter weather.”
The council recommends that car owners follow its Fall Car Care Month checklist and inspect their vehicles – or have their car inspected – before the temperatures drop and severe weather hits.
The Car Care Council fall car care checklist:
Heating, Wipers & Lights
- Make sure heaters, defrosters and wipers work properly.
- Consider winter wiper blades and use cold-weather washer fluid. As a general rule, wiper blades should be replaced every six months.
- Check to see that all exterior and interior lights work and headlights are properly aimed.
Tires & Brakes
- Check the tire tread depth and tire pressure of all tires, including the spare. If snow and ice are a problem in your area, consider special tires designed to grip slick roads.
- During winter, tire pressure should be checked weekly.
- Have the brakes checked. The braking system is the vehicle’s most important safety item.
Gas, Oil & Filters
- Keep your gas tank at least half full throughout the cold weather to prevent moisture from forming in gas lines and possibly freezing.
- Be diligent about changing the oil and filter at recommended intervals. Dirty oil can spell trouble in winter. Consider changing to “winter weight” oil if you live in a cold climate.
- Check the fuel, air and transmission filters at the same time.
System Checks – Charging, Cooling & Exhaust
- Have the battery and charging system checked, as cold weather is hard on batteries.
- Clean, flush and put new antifreeze in the cooling system. As a rule of thumb, this should be done every two years.
- Have the exhaust system checked for carbon monoxide leaks, which can be especially dangerous during cold weather driving when windows are closed.
Pack the Essentials
- Make sure that your ice scraper and snow brush are accessible and ready to use.
- Stock an emergency kit with jumper cables, a flashlight, blankets, extra clothes, bottled water, nonperishable food and a first aid kit with any needed medication.
“Winter magnifies existing problems like hard starts, sluggish performance and rough idling, so a little car care now is a sensible way to avoid being stranded out in the cold later,” says Nathan Perrine, executive director, Car Care Council.” Whether you perform the inspection and maintenance yourself or go to a trusted repair shop, it’s a small investment of time and money to help avoid the cost and hassle of a breakdown during the cold winter months ahead.”
You can find a trusted Wichita auto repair shop and auto care gurus at Tracy’s Automotive.
While you’re at Tracy’s Automotive, check into our specials, like free road hazard protection on a set of four tires.
While you’re at Tracy’s Automotive, be sure to sign up for our giveaway of a $150 gift card and a Weber Spirit II E-210 gas grill. The Weber Spirit II E-210 is a two-burner grill that’s built to fit small spaces, and packed with features such as the powerful GS4 grilling system, iGrill capability, and convenient side tables for placing serving trays.
Once you fall in love with the Spirit II E-210, fill out a form. We’ll be giving away one $150 gift card and one grill at each of our locations in November. No purchase necessary but you must enter at one of our service centers. Stay tuned for more details or ask one of the auto pros when you visit one of our service centers.
Tracy’s Automotive is here to help you. If you don’t have time or feel you can take your car to the shop, Tracy’s Automotive will pick it up at your home or work. Then, after your car is serviced or repaired, Tracy’s Automotive will bring it back to you thoroughly cleaned.
Tracy’s passion for a better tire buying, auto care and auto repair experience drove us to develop the model of Tracy’s Automotive Tire Pros. Tracy’s has turned hard work and inspiration into a booming tire and auto repair provider. Now Tracy’s has three locations and serves customers all over Wichita and Goddard. Tracy’s is thrilled to be a part of your family’s trusted brands for all auto repair and tire needs.
Tracy’s Automotive | Wichita Auto Care | Wichita Tires | Wichita Auto Repair | Maple Street Auto Care | Maple Street Auto Repair
#TracysAutomotive #WichitaAutoCare #WichitaTires #WichitaAutoRepair #MapleStreetAutoCare #MapleStreetAutoRepair