When your car seems to be bouncing up and down, you need to have the Wichita auto care specialists at Tracy’s Automotive examine your shocks and struts.
You were headed home from the art museum this morning when you first noticed that, every time you drove over a bump, your car seemed to bounce more than usual. Not only that, it seemed to continue bouncing after you’d gotten over the bump.
Excessive bouncing is one warning sign that your shocks and/or struts are wearing out.
“Shocks and struts help stabilize your vehicle’s movements, enhancing control when you turn, brake, accelerate or encounter uneven road surfaces. Today’s vehicles use shocks, struts or a combination of the two,” auto insurer Geico says.
Geico adds, “The basic difference is that a shock is an independent component, while the strut combines the shock and other features in a single structural unit. Both help to stabilize the vehicle and keep the tires in contact with the pavement. Without shocks, your vehicle would bounce down the road.”
Geico lists warning signs that indicate you need to replace your shocks and/or struts. Among them:
- “Instability at highway speeds. Your vehicle never feels completely stable on the highway and is constantly moving up and down. The movement may be slight, but you notice it.
- “Vehicle ‘tips’ to one side in turns. When taking a sharp turn or an off-ramp, your vehicle leans or ‘tips’ to the outside of the turn and feels wobbly. …
- “Tires bouncing excessively. After hitting a bump, you can feel a tire (or tires) reacting or “bouncing” for a time. You may also hear a clunking noise.
- “Unusual tire wear. Because the tire isn’t being held firmly to the road, the tread wears in a wavy manner instead of evenly.
- “Leaking fluid on the exterior of shocks or struts. This is a sign that the seals have broken and the internal fluids essential to proper function are escaping.”
If it’s time to replace or repair your shocks and/or struts, then it’s time to see the Wichita auto care pros at Tracy’s Automotive.
Tracy’s passion for a better tire buying, auto care and auto repair experience drove us to develop the model of Tracy’s Automotive Tire Pros. Tracy’s has turned hard work and inspiration into a booming tire and auto repair provider. Now Tracy’s has three locations and serves customers all over Wichita and Goddard. Tracy’s is thrilled to be a part of your family’s trusted brands for all auto repair and tire needs.
Tracy’s Automotive | Wichita Auto Care | Wichita Auto Repair | Maple Street Auto Repair
#TracysAutomotive #WichitaAutoCare #WichitaAutoRepair #MapleStreetAutoRepair