Winter’s cold weather brings a whole load of woes for drivers as their cars succumb to the harsh temperatures.
The official start of winter is just weeks away and cold temperatures have already arrived. Kids (and adults) can have fun in the chill on the ice pond at the Plazzio. Although the colder weather brings a welcome break from summer’s heat and brings winter sports and fun, your car may not welcome the change in temperature.
For cars, winter brings a whole load of potential problems, according to Car and Driver.
Among the most common issues car owners face in winter: flat, or deflated tires, dead batteries, thick oil, ice in the fuel line, frozen windshield, and the failure of antifreeze.
Car and Driver offers these tips to avoid these difficulties:
- Check your tire inflation more frequently, at least once weekly.
- To help avoid a dead battery, keep the connections clean, tight and corrosion free. Buy a new battery if yours is older or was already giving you trouble.
- Switch to a low viscosity oil in the winter.Talk with your Wichita auto care pro about the best oil for your car.
- Keeping your tank at least half full all the time will help prevent ice forming in the fuel line.
- Make sure your heater and defrosters are working to help avoid frozen windshields and rear windows.
- “Engine coolant, a.k.a. antifreeze, will not be as effective at protecting your engine against the elements if it’s old or has an improper ratio of coolant to water,” Car and Driver says. Do not “add 100 percent antifreeze because it actually has a higher freeze point when not mixed with water. It’s a good idea to have engine coolant that is made for colder climates.”
- Either you or your Maple Street auto care technician should check your antifreeze to see what it’s freezing point is. Your antifreeze should be flushed and refilled at least every two years.
Tracy’s Automotive is here to help you. If you don’t have time or feel you can take your car to the shop, Tracy’s Automotive will pick it up at your home or work. Then, after your car is serviced or repaired, Tracy’s Automotive will bring it back to you thoroughly cleaned.
Tracy’s passion for a better tire buying, auto care and auto repair experience drove us to develop the model of Tracy’s Automotive Tire Pros. Tracy’s has turned hard work and inspiration into a booming tire and auto repair provider. Now Tracy’s has three locations and serves customers all over Wichita and Goddard. Tracy’s is thrilled to be a part of your family’s trusted brands for all auto repair and tire needs.
Tracy’s Automotive | Battery | Maple Street Battery | Wichita Auto Care | Wichita Auto Repair | Maple Street Auto Care | Maple Street Auto Repair
#TracysAutomotiven #Battery #MapleStreetBattery #WichitaAutoCare #WichitaAutoRepair #MapleStreetAutoCare #MapleStreetAutoRepair