The end of summer is a perfect time to prepare your car for the cold weather ahead.
This has been a record-breaking week when it comes to Kansas weather. An “unprecedented cold front” pushed winter weather into the state, resulting in low temperatures and a bit of snow.
“Among new records this week were a low of 47 degrees in Wichita on Tuesday, where the previous record had been 48 in 1890, and low of 41 degrees in Russell, where the previous record was 44 in 1962,” according to Fox 4 news. “However, the greatest record break happened on Wednesday, Sept. 9, when Wichita shattered the old record cool temperature, set 110 years ago in 1910, by 14 degrees.”
The cold weather was a sharp reminder that summer is over and winter is definitely on its way. The change in seasons gives people a chance to prepare for the upcoming cold weather, especially where their cars are concerned.
“The vacations are over, the kids are back in school and cooler evenings have begun,” the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence advises. “Take advantage of the lull to prepare your vehicle for the winter ahead, advise the pros and the non-profit National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE). Breakdowns, never convenient, can be dangerous in cold weather period.”
The ASE offers this list of items that a wise car owner should have checked out before winter really sets in:
- Follow your car manual’s advice on regular checkups and auto care. If you’re behind on oil changes or other routine maintenance, do it now.
- Have engine and other driveability problems fixed.
- “The cooling system should be flushed and refilled as recommended. The level, condition, and concentration of the coolant should be checked periodically. (A 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water is usually recommended.)”
- “The heater and defroster must be in good working condition for passenger comfort and driver visibility.”
- “Replace old windshield wiper blades. If your climate is harsh, purchase rubber-clad (winter) blades to fight ice build-up. Stock up on windshield washer solvent you’ll be surprised how much you use. Carry an ice-scraper.”
- “The only accurate way to detect a weak battery is with professional equipment. Scrape away corrosion from posts and cable connections; clean all surfaces; re-tighten all connections. If battery caps are removable, check fluid level monthly.”
- “Inspect all lights and bulbs; replace burned out bulbs; periodically clean road grime from all lenses with a moistened cloth or towel.”
- “Your vehicle should be placed on a lift and the exhaust system examined for leaks. The trunk and floorboards should be inspected for small holes. Exhaust fumes can be deadly.”
- “Worn tires will be of little use in winter weather. Examine tires for remaining tread life, uneven wearing, and cupping; check the sidewalls for cuts and nicks. Check tire pressure once a month. Let the tires ‘cool down’ before checking the pressure. Rotate as recommended. Don’t forget your spare, and be sure the jack is in good condition.”
Drivers can check some of these items themselves. Others require the hand and eye of a professional auto care expert like the trusted auto care technicians at Tracy’s Automotive.
Tracy’s Automotive is here to help you. If you don’t have time or feel you caon take your car to the shop, Tracy’s Automotive will pick it up at your home or work. Then, after your car is serviced or repaired, Tracy’s Automotive will bring it back to you thoroughly cleaned.
Tracy’s passion for a better tire buying, auto care and auto repair experience drove us to develop the model of Tracy’s Automotive Tire Pros. Tracy’s has turned hard work and inspiration into a booming tire and auto repair provider. Now Tracy’s has three locations and serves customers all over Wichita and Goddard. Tracy’s is thrilled to be a part of your family’s trusted brands for all auto repair and tire needs.
While you’re at Tracy’s Automotive, be sure to sign up for our giveaway of a Weber Spirit II E-210 gas grill. The Weber Spirit II E-210 is a two-burner grill that’s built to fit small spaces, and packed with features such as the powerful GS4 grilling system, iGrill capability, and convenient side tables for placing serving trays.
Once you fall in love with the Spirit II E-210, fill out a form. We’ll be giving away one grill at each of our locations in November. No purchase necessary but you must enter at one of our service centers. Stay tuned for more details or ask one of the auto pros when you visit one of our service centers.
Tracy’s Automotive | Wichita Tires | Maple Street Tires | Wichita Auto Care | Wichita Auto Repair | Maple Street Auto Care | Maple Street Auto Repair
#TracysAutomotive #WichitaTires #MapleStreetTires #WichitaAutoCare #WichitaAutoTuneUp #WichitaAutoRepair #MapleStreetAutoCare #MapleStreetAutoRepair