You’re driving down the road when you suddenly notice smoke billowing out from under your car’s hood? It’s alarming! Unnerving!
What is going on? And what should you do?
While the sight of smoke might immediately set off alarm bells, it’s important to remain calm and assess the situation. The experts at Tracy’s Tire Pros & Automotive in Wichita explore the various reasons why there might be smoke coming from under your car hood and what you should do when you encounter this situation.
What are the Possible Reasons
- Overheating: The most common reasons for smoke under the car hood is that your engine has overheated. When the engine becomes too hot, it can lead to coolant or oil leaking and vaporizing, creating the appearance of smoke. The problem can result from a malfunctioning cooling system, a damaged radiator, a faulty thermostat, or a coolant leak. If you notice your engine’s temperature gauge in the red zone or you smell a sweet, burning odor, pull over immediately and turn off your engine. Continuing to drive with an overheated engine can cause serious damage and costly repairs.
- Oil Leaks. Another common cause of smoke under the car hood is an oil leak. Oil can drip onto the hot engine components, causing it to burn and produce smoke. An oil leak could be due to a damaged oil filter, gasket, or oil pan. It’s essential to address oil leaks promptly, as insufficient oil levels can lead to engine damage. The ASE Certified mechanics at Tracy’s Tire Pros and Automotive are here to help you figures out what is going on and prevent future, more costly damage.
- Electrical Issues. Electrical problems within your car can also lead to smoke. If there’s a short circuit, frayed wires, or a malfunctioning electrical component, it can generate heat and smoke. These issues can be tricky to diagnose, so it’s best to have the experts at Tracy’s Tire Pros in Wichita assess the problem.
- Brake Issues. Brake problems can sometimes produce smoke as well. If your brakes are overheating, it can cause a burning smell and smoke to emerge from the wheel wells. This typically occurs during heavy or prolonged braking, such as driving downhill. If you suspect brake issues, it’s crucial to have your brakes inspected and repaired to ensure your safety on the road.
- Transmission Fluid Leaks. In some cases, transmission fluid leaks can also result in smoke under the car hood. Transmission fluid is vital for the proper functioning of your vehicle’s transmission. Leaks can be caused by damaged seals, gaskets, or transmission lines. If you suspect a transmission fluid leak, it’s essential to address it promptly to prevent further damage to your transmission.
What to Do When You See Smoke
- Pull over to a Safe Location: As soon as you see smoke, safely pull over to the side of the road or a parking lot. Turn off the engine to prevent further damage.
- Pop the Hood: Once safely stopped, carefully open the hood to assess the situation. Be cautious, as there may be hot components or even flames. If you see a fire, call 911 immediately.
- Call for Assistance: Contact Tracy’s Tire Pros, towing service, or roadside assistance to assess and address the issue. Don’t diagnose or fix the problem yourself unless you’re experienced with car repairs.
Smoke coming from under your car hood can be a cause for concern, but it’s essential to stay calm and take appropriate action. There are critical (and expensive) mechanisms going on under your hood, so it’s always wise to seek professional help to ensure the safety of yourself and your vehicle. Tracy’s Tire Pros has three locations to make your car repairs and maintenance convenient: 525 E. 1st Street North, 3804 W. Maple St, or 11770 W. 21st Street N. And remember, regular maintenance and inspections can help prevent many of these issues and keep your car running smoothly.
Tracy’s Automotive | Wichita Car Care | Wichita Auto Care | Wichita Auto Repair | Maple Street Auto Care | Maple Street Auto Repair | Wichita Tires | Local Car Repair | Wichita Auto Coupons | Auto Coupons | Brake Pads
#TracysAutomotive #WichitaTires #BrakesWichita #WichitaCarCare #WichitaAutoCare #WichitaAutoRepair #TracysAutoCare #MapleStreetAutoRepair #LocalCarRepair #WichitaAutoCareNearMe #WichitaAutoCoupons #AutoCoupons #AutoDiagnostics #BrakePads