Your auto air conditioner uses a lot of fuel. But there are ways to stay cool in the blazing summer heat while saving a bit on fuel.
Gas prices have dropped the past few weeks, but they’re still high enough to make you hesitate to make unnecessary trips for pleasure, like to see the new train at the Sedgewick County Zoo.
A great deal of the problem can be blamed on the sweltering summer temperatures. As fueleconomy.com notes, “Keeping passengers comfortable in hot weather by rolling down the windows or using the air conditioning can reduce fuel economy.
“Running your car’s air conditioning is the main contributor to reduced fuel economy in hot weather. Its effect depends on a number of factors, such as the outside temperature, humidity, and intensity of the sun. Under very hot conditions, AC use can reduce a conventional vehicle’s fuel economy by more than 25%, particularly on short trips. The AC’s effect on hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and electric vehicles can be even larger on a percentage basis.”
But there are ways to improve your fuel economy in hot weather. Fueleconomy.gov offers these tips:
- “Roll the windows down at lower speeds; use the AC at highway speeds.
- “Don’t use the AC more than needed or set the temperature lower than needed.
- Park in the shade or use a sunshade so that the cabin doesn’t get as hot.
- “Drive with the windows open for a short time before using the AC. Letting hot air out of the cabin first will put less demand on the AC and help your vehicle cool faster.
- “Don’t idle with the AC running before driving. Turn the AC on after you begin to drive or after airing out the cabin briefly. Most AC systems will cool the vehicle faster while driving.
- “Read your owner’s manual. Most manuals explain how the AC system controls work and how to best use and maintain the AC system.
“For plug-in hybrids and electric vehicles, pre-cooling the cabin while plugged into the charger can extend your vehicle’s range. Also, using a warmer temperature setting for the AC will use less battery power.”
If your car seems to be using an excessive amount of fuel or if your auto air stops functioning, then you need to consult the Wichita auto repair pros at Tracy’s Automotive.
Tracy’s Automotive is here to help you. If you don’t have time or feel you can take your car to the shop, Tracy’s Automotive will pick it up at your home or work. Then, after your car is serviced or repaired, Tracy’s Automotive will bring it back to you thoroughly cleaned.
Tracy’s passion for a better tire buying, auto care and auto repair experience drove us to develop the model of Tracy’s Automotive Tire Pros. Tracy’s has turned hard work and inspiration into a booming tire and auto repair provider. Now Tracy’s has three locations and serves customers all over Wichita and Goddard – Maple Street auto care and auto repair, E First Street N and W 21st Street N.. Tracy’s is thrilled to be a part of your family’s trusted brands for all auto repair and tire needs.
Tracy’s Automotive is a proud dealer for Jasper Engines and Vogue Performance Exhaust systems.
Tracy’s Automotive | Maple Street Auto Air | Auto AC Maple Street | Maple Street Car Care | Wichita Auto Care | Wichita Auto Repair | Maple Street Auto Care | Maple Street Auto Repair
#TracysAutomotive #MapleStreetAutoAir #AutoACMapleStreet #MapleStreetCarBattery #MapleStreetCarCare #WichitaAutoCare #WichitaAutoRepair #MapleStreetAutoCare #MapleStreetAutoRepair