It’s not unusual for cars to act up and have problems when temperatures start falling. Tracy’s Automotive can help you with that.
Overnight temperatures in Wichita could drop into the 30s over the next few days. It’s definitely sweater weather – at least in the mornings. It’s also weather that can make life miserable for drivers as their cars react badly to the autumn chill.
Angie’s List points out five ways the colder weather can adversely affect your car’s health:
- Thickening fluids – Car fluids — oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid, etc. — become more viscous, or thicken, which causes the fluids to move less freely. It’s wise to change your fluids before cold sets in and make sure they remain at the correct levels throughout the winter.
- Battery – “When temperatures plummet, your car’s battery works harder to start the car because its starting capacity is reduced in below-freezing weather,” Angie’s List says. “If the battery is three or four years old — regardless of the type of battery — consider buying a new one before winter … or take it to an auto mechanic so they can check its capacity.”
- Tire pressure – “In extreme temperatures, tire pressure can fluctuate. In cold temps, tire pressure can decrease at rest and increase when the car is moving. If the light comes on, inspect the tire,” Angie’s List advises. “Driving with low – or too much – tire pressure can lead to uneven wear and a shortened lifespan for the tire. It can also lead to a tire blowout on the road.”
- Leaking – “When water seeps into cracks in the road, the pavement chips away and potholes can form during a constant freeze-thaw cycle. Similar damage occurs to cars. … Metal and plastic will collect condensate when it constantly goes from cold to warm and back to cold again,” Angie’s List points out. “Condensation turns to water, which turns to ice… Ice in the power steering, brake and engine transmission systems can and will cause leaks in high and low pressure systems, when the ice cannot move through the lines and orifices in all major systems. Leaks in the steering and brake system can be potentially hazardous if a malfunction occurs.”
- Road salt – Road salt can stick to your car – especially its undercarriage – and corrode if left. You can help avoid this by washing your car frequently during winter months.
If you do not have a trusted Wichita auto care technician to check and/or repair these systems, it’s time to get to the know the auto care and auto repair specialists at Tracy’s Automotive.
While you’re at Tracy’s Automotive, check into our specials, like free road hazard protection on a set of four tires.
While you’re at Tracy’s Automotive, be sure to sign up for our giveaway of a $150 gift card and a Weber Spirit II E-210 gas grill. The Weber Spirit II E-210 is a two-burner grill that’s built to fit small spaces, and packed with features such as the powerful GS4 grilling system, iGrill capability, and convenient side tables for placing serving trays.
Once you fall in love with the Spirit II E-210, fill out a form. We’ll be giving away one $150 gift card and one grill at each of our locations in November. No purchase necessary but you must enter at one of our service centers. Stay tuned for more details or ask one of the auto pros when you visit one of our service centers.
Tracy’s Automotive is here to help you. If you don’t have time or feel you can take your car to the shop, Tracy’s Automotive will pick it up at your home or work. Then, after your car is serviced or repaired, Tracy’s Automotive will bring it back to you thoroughly cleaned.
Tracy’s passion for a better tire buying, auto care and auto repair experience drove us to develop the model of Tracy’s Automotive Tire Pros. Tracy’s has turned hard work and inspiration into a booming tire and auto repair provider. Now Tracy’s has three locations and serves customers all over Wichita and Goddard. Tracy’s is thrilled to be a part of your family’s trusted brands for all auto repair and tire needs.
Tracy’s Automotive | Wichita Auto Care | Wichita Battery | Wichita Auto Repair | Maple Street Auto Care | Maple Street Auto Repair
#TracysAutomotive #WichitaAutoCare #WichitaBattery #WichitaAutoRepair #MapleStreetAutoCare #MapleStreetAutoRepair